Bethel School before it was torn down. Photo taken by Chris Feldt in October, 2021.
Thomason Brothers Cotton Gin and Sawmill in Hinton. Photo provided by Patricia Stewart.
The Cagle House is a historic house in an area known as Cagletown, Jasper, Georgia. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places on March 20, 2002. It is located on Waleska Highway 108, approximately 1 1/2 miles west of Georgia 5/515. It was built c. 1872 as an two story I-house by Peter Cagle.
Griffeth-Pendley House is a historic property that includes a log dogtrot home, barn and shed in Jasper. It was built by Caleb “Cale” Griffeth III who inherited the 110-acre property from his father Caleb Griffeth II in 1877. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on April 16, 2008. It was located at 2198 Cove Road, Jasper. The Dollar General store is located there now.
Wolfscratch School in Big Canoe, also known as the Tate Mountain School built by Sam Tate in 1916 for the “mountain” children. It’s currently being used as the tennis center store. It has been renovated extensively. At one time, it was a two room school.
This Tate Depot was built in 1916 and is still in use today. Passenger train service was discontinued in 1949 except for a few special trains in the 1960s. Originally it was built by the L&N Railroad now owned by Ga Northeastern RR. The depot was moved across the street and renovated in 2006 by Marble Valley Friends, Inc, Tate Community Association, Amicolala Garden Club and Pickens County Government which joined the Georgia Historical Society to save the Depot. Georgia DOT provided $400,000 in Transportation Enhancement funds to rehabilitate the building. Part of the renovation entailed moving it across GA 53 to the opposite corner.
The construction of the Grandview Lake in Jasper in 1945.
Construction of Masonic Temple on Mainstreet Jasper in 1924. Today this is next to 61 Main and owned by George Weaver.
Tate Gymnasium is a historic building in Tate. It was built in 1923 to serve the local high school. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places on December 12, 2002. It is located at 5600 Georgia 53 East.
It was built by Col. Sam Tate, president of Georgia Marble Company, workers of that company, and other “community artisans”, with all expenses paid by the Colonel and the Georgia Marble Company.
Connahaynee Lodge atop Mount Burrell, Jasper, in 1929. Back in the 1930′s, Colonel Sam Tate had built a “summer colony” in the far northeastern corner of the county, the Tate Mountain Estates, a getaway community for the wealthy surrounding Lake Sequoyah with an impressive lodge – the Connahaynee Lodge. As things turned out, 1929 wasn’t a particularly good year to start a resort, so it never quite achieved the grandeur he envisioned. The Lodge burned in 1947.
Grandview Hotel built by H.E. Hawkins around 1929. The Salvation Army eventually had it torn down due to safety concerns.